Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Shaker Boys Basketball Coach Jeff Holmes Steps Down

After 27 years with the Shaker boys basketball program, and 33 total years spent on the sidelines, veteran coach Jeff Holmes has decided to step down from his position. 

"It was pleasure to coach so many great young men, including two of my own sons," Holmes said via e-mail on Tuesday afternoon. "I had supportive administration and parents who trusted me to do what I thought was best for the program. And, I have had outstanding colleagues as coaches in our program through the years."


Holmes coached Shaker to a Section II championship in 1991-92 and consistently coached the Bison to Suburban Council success. 


This season, the Bison finished 13-7 overall and wrapped up the season on Saturday with a 61-58 to loss to Green Tech in the Class AA quarterfinals at Hudson Valley Community College. As a team, Shaker averaged 61.35 points per game, led by senior guard Andrew Holmes' 15.55 average.

Although Holmes is stepping away from the sidelines, he has plans to continue teaching in the North Colonie District. Most importantly though, Holmes knows that he is leaving the Shaker program in good hands. 

"I feel that are program is great shape with very good teams and great kids at the JV, Frosh, and Modified level," Holmes said. "I feel confident the district will hire a great coach eager to lead and carry on a tradition that we worked so hard to build."

At this point, Shaker has yet to announce a new coach for the varsity team. 

For Holmes though, the veteran coach is simply ready to have some free time in his schedule and the opportunity to see his children compete without being the one drawing up their plays. 

"I am ready to spend time doing other things in my life along with things that I want to do more of, like spending time with my family," Holmes said. "My wife has had the difficult task of being married to a coach who has put in an abundance of time in coaching and deserves more.  And, I am eager to watch my three sons continue their education and athletic careers."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home