Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Ethics of Basketball

I'm writing a story guys! It's about basketball and scoring points!

This is not surprising, I know, but I'm doing things a little differently this time around. I need YOUR opinion.

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but as an area, Section II has had some pretty dominant basketball performances so far this season and some pretty ridiculously high-scoring games.

Four different boys teams have posted over 100 points in a SINGLE GAME. A handful of girls basketball players have single-handedly outscored their opponents and that's just the tip of the metaphorical iceberg. Teams have been regularly posting upwards of 80 points a game and while that in and of itself is impressive, what's even more interesting is that they've been doing it while giving up minimal points.

Some teams in the area have been out-scoring opponents by as much as 60 or 70 points in a league game.

So, I want to know why and how that keeps happening. As players, do you think there are just more talented kids out there playing? Or are teams not evenly matched within their own leagues? Do you guys not focus much on defense or is it simply that everyone wants to score as much as possible?

I'm sure some coaches would want their teams to pull back in an incredibly lopsided game, but what do you guys think when you're the ones on the court? How would you feel if a team put up 100 points on you? Would you want them to slow do or is that just insulting? On the flip side, would you feel bad outscoring an entire opponent? Or is that an accomplishment?

There is no right or wrong answer here. There are only opinions and thoughts and points to be made and I want to hear them all from you. So, leave a comment here (with your real and full name please!) or shoot me an e-mail at lamato@troyrecord.com or tweet me at @LauraAmato. You've got plenty of outlets to voice your opinion, so do it and help me out along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home